European tubes market enjoys stable H1 2021 despite pandemic

By Julia Wray 13-Sep-2021

Deliveries to the cosmetics market increased by 2% while dental care was up 4%

European tubes market enjoys stable H1 2021 despite pandemic

Despite the pressures of the ongoing pandemic, the European tubes industry has remained stable in the first half of 2021.

The European tube manufacturers’ association (etma) reported that total deliveries of aluminium, plastic and laminate tubes increased fractionally by 0.5% in that period to reach a level of 6 billion units.

Deliveries to the dental care market were up by 4%, while the cosmetics market increased 2%. Combined with a strong performance from food and household products (up 10% and 12%, respectively), this compensated for the 11% dip in deliveries of tubes to the pharmaceutical sector.

According to the etma, the lively demand for cosmetic tubes can be attributed to the increasing mobility of consumers who are going out more often following the lifting of more restrictive lockdowns associated with earlier on in the pandemic.

The reopening of hairdressing and beauty salons also had a positive effect.

In terms of format, laminate tubes continued to take the top position with a 38% share, closely followed by aluminium with 35%. The plastic tube share was just 27%.

Sign up for your free email newsletter

Anticipated pressures going forward, said the etma’s Secretary General Gregor Spengler, include the prices of aluminium, plastics, paints, printing inks, closures, cardboard boxes and transport, which are still at a very high level.