Beauty retailers are among those named in the top 50 of the UK’s Customer Satisfaction Index (UKCSI).
The highest placed among pure-play retailers was A.S. Watson-owned store Superdrug, which came in joint 21st place with fast food chain McDonalds.
The health and beauty retailer saw a boost of more than 40 places on its July 2019 results and a score improvement of 1.9 to 81.5.
Also landing in the top 50 was Holland & Barrett in 31st place, with a satisfaction score of 80.8.
Department store giant John Lewis was crowned the most satisfactory retailer by its shoppers, despite no change to its 85.3 score in 2019.
The retailer was hailed for its customer ethos, emotional connection and ethics, as well as experience dimensions of the index.
Amazon.co.uk, which has increasingly added to its beauty portfolio, was also placed in joint sixth with a score of 83.3.
Covid boosts customer satisfaction
According to the statistics, which were collected between 10 September and 7 October 2019, and again between 16 March and 13 April 2020, feedback suggests that many organisations have seen an increase in customers’ satisfaction ratings since the pandemic.
“The evidence from the UKCSI suggests that while the overall trend in customers satisfaction has remained flat, the Covid-19 environment has produced variable impacts across sectors, organisations and customer groups,” the document read.
Overall 65.6% of customers were found to value staff in customers services roles more than they did before the lockdown.
In response, UKCSI laid out a number of recommendations in order to keep customer satisfaction high during the coronavirus pandemic:
- Reset business and customer experience objectives
- Protect the health and well-being of employees
- Support, develop and empower employees
- Prioritise the needs of vulnerable customers
- Make sure your customers know how to access services and contact your organisation for help and advice
- Understand how customers’ needs and priorities are evolving
- Focus on improving service productivity
- Develop your capacity for innovation and agility