From Fighting Malaria to Fighting Climate Change
At Aprinnova, we combine cutting-edge biotechnology with over 70 years of cosmetic industry expertise as a joint venture between Amyris Inc. and Nikkol Group. Starting from humble origins in a Silicon Valley garage, we have always had one mission: putting people first.
In 2003, our scientists developed a patented sugarcane fermentation technology to create an accessible cure for malaria, funded by the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation. Today, over 120 million royalty-free malaria treatments have been delivered.
Inspired to expand our patented biotechnology, we began developing novel clean, sustainable, and effective ingredients. These replace traditional ingredients from vulnerable species or from petrochemicals.
Our stable sugarcane feedstock enables a steady supply of sustainable ingredients. The entire supply chain is certified sustainable and ethical by Bonsucro, a World Wildlife Fund-founded NGO.
Our Sustainable Ingredients
Each ingredient is meticulously crafted using our patented fermentation technology. Our sustainable manufacturing process reduces water usage, land occupation, and greenhouse gas emissions compared to today’s traditional ingredients. The fermentation process converts renewable, Bonsucro-certified sugarcane into bespoke beauty molecules.
The future of clean beauty is available today:
- Neossance™ Squalane: The world’s best-performing squalane, derived from renewable Brazilian sugarcane.
- Neossance™ Hemisqualane: The best-performing natural silicone replacement with benefits in haircare, colour cosmetics, antiperspirants, and more.
- CleanScreen™ Z60SF: Safer non-whitening broad-UV protection without petrochemicals or silicones.
- SimplySolid™: The hydrating, solid skincare breakthrough to reduce wasteful packaging.
Neossance Squalane is a stabler form of our bodies’ natural moisturiser, squalene, providing hydration and anti-aging benefits superior to other emollients. It is better for our planet than traditional squalane extracted from shark liver or from impure and inconsistent olive oil. Neossance™ Squalane is also an ideal carrier to enhance the performance of actives in skincare products.
- Lightweight feel with deep moisturisation
- Soothes and softens skin
- Improves skin firmness
- Reduces appearance of fine lines
- Brightens skin
Neossance Hemisqualane is the answer to growing consumer concerns about silicone’s impact on hair health and the environment. Like Neossance Squalane, it is derived from Bonsucro-certified renewable sugarcane. In contrast to silicones, Hemisqualane penetrates the hair shaft for maximum nourishment and protection. It offers exceptional sensory and functional performance for colour cosmetics, skincare, and antiperspirants.
- Silky, weightless feel across applications
- Frizz fighting and manageability boosting in haircare
- Worry-free styling with heat protection
- Effective, non-stripping makeup removal
- Easily added to any fragrance-free product
The Cleanscreen Z60SF Zinc Oxide UV dispersion addresses increasing consumer concerns about sunscreen safety and sustainability without compromising performance or sensory properties. It provides non-whitening, mineral-based broad-UV protection that doesn’t enter the bloodstream. More protection, less whitening, and no petrochemicals.
- Complete broad-spectrum protection in any application
- Smooth, even coverage
- Suitable for any skin tones
- Easy to homogenise
- Aligns with “silicone-free” claims
SimplySolid is the breakthrough ingredient featuring Neossance™ Squalane and Hemisqualane. It accelerates hydrating, solid skincare application development and reduces wasteful packaging. Simply melt the SimplySolid, add in actives or fragrances, and cool in any mold to easily formulate high-performance skin and body care. Finally, a solution for packaging without sacrificing performance.
- Rapid formulation development with minimal troubleshooting
- No need for plastic packaging
- Smooth application on skin
- Instant skin soothing
- Enables creative, novel shapes in variety of molds
See More Sustainable Beauty
Curious why today’s top brands prefer Neossance Hemisqualane as their silicone alternative? Want to know why Neossance Squalane promotes customer loyalty? Here are some resources to get you started on your sustainability journey.
- What Is the Bonsucro Difference?
- How Neossance Hemisqualane Powers Influential and Inclusive Brands
- Why Neossance Squalane Powers the New CleanScreen Z60SF
- Neossance Hemisqualane’s Newest Benefit: Microbiome-Friendly
- The Formulators’ Guide to the Clean Beauty Renaissance
Visit our Knowledge Base to learn more about our clean beauty formulations.