From trialling new skin care routines, or experimenting with bold hair colours, consumers spent a lot of time updating their beauty routines over the past year.
Buy now, pay later service Clearpay has unveiled the most popular products bought over lockdown in 2020 as part of its Fashion & Beauty Trend Report.
As salons were forced to close for the majority of the last 12 months, there was a surge for hair care, and professional brand Olaplex was the clear sales winner.
Six of Olaplex's products were found in Clearpay's most purchased beauty items in 2020, more than any other brand, with Olaplex's No.3 Hair Perfector being named the number one beauty product in the year to April 2021.
Olaplex's Shampoo and Conditioner Bundle came in third place, while MAC Cosmetics' Studio Fix Fluid SPF 15 Foundation arrived in second and its Matte Lipstick came in fifth – bucking the overall trend for declining lipstick sales.
Clearpay noted that there has also been an uptick in sales of bold make-up products, such as lip gloss, with sales of glosses from the likes of LookFantastic and MAC via Clearpay all on the rise.
Unsurprisingly, skin care featured heavily in the report. The Ordinary's Hyaluronic Acid 2% + B5 Hydration Support Formula was revealed to be the skin care product purchased the most via Clearpay.
It was one of four of The Ordinary products to be among the top 25 list. The now Estée Lauder Companies-owned company's Niacinamide 10% + Zinc 1% High Strength Vitamin and Mineral Blemish Formula; Natural Moisturising Factors + HA, and Caffeine Solution 5% + EGCG were the other favourites.
Looking to the year ahead, Clearpay's trend futurist, Geraldine Wharry, forecasts that bright colours and glitter will be among the top trends.
"From micro-sequins to clear beads, everyone is going to seek to express joy and hope. Expect to see glitter in our beauty products, too," she said.
"Along with the glitter, you can expect bright colours, such as oranges, pinks, and reds, to enter Brits’ wardrobes and make-up bags. After a long lockdown and gloomy winter, brands are going to start introducing colours that express hope, optimism, and innovation to shoppers.
"Gen Z is certain to be at the forefront of this initiative, as they’re poised to be the fashion innovators of the future.”
Top 25 beauty products of 2020
- Olaplex, No.3 Hair Perfector
- MAC Cosmetics, Studio Fix Fluid SPF 15 Foundation
- Olaplex, Shampoo and Conditioner Bundle
- The Ordinary, Hyaluronic Acid 2% + B5 Hydration Support Formula
- MAC Cosmetics, Matte Lipstick
- PIXI, Glow Tonic
- The Ordinary, Niacinamide 10% + Zinc 1% High Strength Vitamin and Mineral Blemish Formula
- Laura Mercier, Translucent Loose Setting Powder
- The Ordinary, High-Adherence Silicone Primer
- MAC Cosmetics, Lip Pencil
- Real Techniques, Miracle Complexion Sponge
- Olaplex, No.7 Bonding Oil
- Olaplex, No.6 Bond Smoother
- Bobbi Brown, Vitamin Enriched Face Base
- The Ordinary, Natural Moisturising Factors + HA
- Real Techniques, Everyday Essential
- Olaplex, Hero Bundle
- The Ordinary, Caffeine Solution 5% + EGCG
- Estée Lauder, Double Wear Stay-in-Place Makeup SPF 10
- Urban Decay, All Nighter Setting Spray
- CeraVe, Hydrating Cleanser
- CeraVe, Smoothing Cleanser
- Beauty Works, Molly Mae X Beauty Works Curl Kit
- Olaplex, Holiday Hair Fix
- CeraVe, Eye Repair Cream
Source: Clearpay, April 2020 - April 2021