Clariant acquires remaining 70% of Brazil's Beraca

By Austyn King | Published: 23-Aug-2021

The Swiss chemicals giant will have access to the Brazilian company's portfolio of personal care ingredients sustainably sourced from the region's biodiversity

Swiss specialty chemicals company Clariant has taken full ownership of Brazilian chemicals manufacturer Beraca, strengthening its personal care business while meeting ever-growing consumer demand for sustainable beauty with the company's wide portfolio of natural and organic certified materials from the country's biodiversity.

Said to be recognised as one of the key manufacturers of natural ingredients for cosmetics and personal care, Amazon-based Beraca harnesses the region's rich biodiversity to develop ingredients including oils, inter alia fats and botanicals, which are said to be collected and extracted using sustainable methods.

Now, after initially acquiring 30% of the business in 2015, the deal will see Clariant take over the remaining 70% of the family-owned company, which racked up sales of US$15m last year.

Speaking about the acquisition, Conrad Keijzer, CEO of Clariant, said: “With its focus on sustainable products and processes, Beraca fits perfectly into Clariant's portfolio.

“We gain valuable access to natural materials based on the biodiversity of the Brazilian rainforest.

“This opens up great opportunities for high-quality growth for our Care Chemicals business.”

Meanwhile, Clariant will also continue Beraca's work with local communities in the region, ensuring commitment to fair trade processes and working to contribute to social and economic development, according to the company.

Christian Vang, Head of Business Unit Industrial & Consumer Specialties at Clariant, added: “There is an increasing demand for ethically produced products on the world market, which we can meet even better with this acquisition.

“The excellent and highly creative team [at Beraca] has written an extraordinary success story over the past five years, which we now want to continue and further develop under the Clariant umbrella.”

Subject to regulatory approvals, the deal is expected to close in Q4 2021.

You may also like