When you brew coffee, less than 1% of the beans' health-promoting compounds end up in your cup.
The remaining 99% remain intact in the spent coffee grounds.
In this article, Adnan Akcay, CTO & Head of R&D, Kaffe Bueno, discusses the skin and hair care benefits of the lipid content of upcycled coffee grounds.
Coffee is a plant that yields the ubiquitous beverage consumed worldwide, and it has been enjoyed for centuries, especially for the energy-boosting effects provided by caffeine.
However, many are unaware that caffeine accounts for roughly 1-2% of coffee’s composition.
The rest are antioxidants, lipids, proteins, sugars, and other health-promoting compounds.
When you brew a cup of coffee, less than 1% of these end up in your cup. The remaining 99% remain intact in the spent coffee grounds, which have been historically mistreated as waste.
Spent coffee grounds usually end up in landfills, where they decompose and generate 340m3 of methane per ton. Considering 11.2 million tons of coffee were traded in 2022 worldwide, the number of emissions is alarming.
Kaffe Bueno is a Danish bioscience company founded in 2016 with the vision to change how the world sees coffee, from a caffeinated beverage to a sustainable health elixir.